Sun, Jul 7, 2013
Educational Systems FCU is proud to announce the recipients of six Dorothy Marvil Memorial scholarships for high school seniors who will be attending a college or university in the fall. The Credit Union also awarded three community college scholarships to students from Montgomery College, Prince George's Community College, and The College of Southern Maryland who will be continuing their education in the fall as well. Each scholarship winner received $3,000 for the 2013-2014 academic school year.
The Dorothy Marvil Memorial scholarship recipients were selected after submitting an essay describing how Educational Systems FCU prepared them to make financial decisions while attending college so they can achieve their financial goals and dreams. The Community College scholarships recognized students who submitted essays about how a secondary education would help them achieve their financial goals and dreams. All high school and community college winners maintained a high grade point average (GPA), and are members of the Credit Union.
The Dorothy Marvil Memorial scholarship is given yearly in memory of Educational Systems FCU's first Board Secretary who was one of the founding members of the Credit Union in 1955. This was the first year the Credit Union awarded the Community College scholarships and plan to continue the tradition moving forward. Below are the 2013 winners of each award.
Dorothy Marvil Memorial Scholarship:
- Cierra Crutchfield - Charles Herbert Flowers High School, Prince George’s County
- Lauren Marple - Rockville High School, Montgomery County
- Annie Ross - Oxon Hill High School, Prince George’s County
- Keenan Thomas - North Point High School, Charles County
- Jonathan Wehausen - North Point High School for Science, Technology and Industry, Charles County
- Hannah Connolly - Leonardtown High School, St. Mary’s County
Community College Scholarship:
- Tevyn Howard - Montgomery College
- Imani Payne - Prince George's Community College
- Alaina Wall - College of Southern Maryland
"This is one of the many ways that we look to continue serving the education community and support education," said Chris Conway, President/CEO of Educational Systems FCU. "We congratulate all the recipients of our scholarships and wish them the best as they continue their education. It's an honor to support education."
Educational Systems FCU is headquartered in Greenbelt, MD, is $750 million in assets and serves nearly 90,000 members in six Maryland counties with 11 branches. Educational Systems FCU provides financial services to the education communities in Montgomery, Prince George’s, Charles, St. Mary’s, Calvert, and Talbot counties.