Wed, Jun 29, 2016
District Of Columbia
Five local credit unions were recently recognized for their achievements associated with the April 3 Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run:
- Constellation FCU for the most raised for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in the Member Donation Challenge at 40 cents per member;
- DOLFCU for the most raised for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in the Organizational Donation Challenge at 42 cents per member;
- FRB FCU for the top credit union running team -“Cash Us If You Can” - and top credit union male runner at 54:50;
- NASA FCU for the top credit union female runner at 1:08:43; and
- State Department FCU for its Most Spirited Volunteer Team at the bag check.
The Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run is a part of a Family of Races which also includes the April 3 Credit Union SacTown Run in Sacramento, California, the April 12 Freedom Run at Wiesbaden Army Garrison in Germany, sponsored by Andrews FCU, and the April 3 Freedom Run at Camp Arifjan in Kuwait, sponsored by the Defense Credit Union Council.
Together, the races are expected to donate over $505,000 to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals nationwide in 2016. Of that amount, about $80,000 was raised online by runners, their families and friends. Since 2002, over $7.5 million has been donated to CMNHs nationwide through the Family of Races. CMNHs is an alliance of premier children’s hospitals that treat 10 million critically ill children annually, regardless of their ability to pay.
Over 200 Members of Congress signed on to be honorary race chairs of this year’s Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run, representing 45 states, American Samoa, DC and Guam. Over 650 congressional staffers ran in what’s known as the “Runner’s Rite of Spring”.
Congressional FCU and U.S. Senate FCU sponsor the annual Cherry Blossom Capitol Hill Competition, the race within the larger Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run. House and Senate offices form teams to compete for the Capitol Hill Cup. The 2016 winning team is “Red, White and Blumenauer” from Congressman Earl Blumenauer’s office.
The title sponsor of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run, Credit Union Miracle Day, is the recipient of the National Credit Union Foundation’s 2013 Outstanding Program Award.
Credit unions and their business partners can support the April 2, 2017 Family of Races benefitting Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals by becoming a sponsor. Visit www.miracleday.org.