We are currently seeking an experienced Accountant II for our corporate headquarters in Greenbelt, MD. The Accountant II follows detailed and standardized procedures in performing required accounting operations. Performs a variety of duties related to the Accounting/Finance department in accordance with Educational Systems Federal Credit Union policies and procedures, as well as, in compliance with all Federal, State and other regulatory agencies rules and regulations. Responds to questions and/or provides information upon request from both internal and external members. Processes requests/transactions, as appropriate. Maintains a high level of confidentiality when handling member related issues.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a minimum of 5 years of similar work related experience. Financial institution experience is preferred. Ability to function independently exercising sound judgment on basic accounting principles. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and analytical skills required. Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline driven environment while maintaining a high degree of quality and accuracy. Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Professional (Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point). Ability to function in a financial institution environment and utilize standard office equipment including but not limited to: 10 key calculator, fax, copier, telephone, etc. Able to lift boxes weighing up to 15 lbs.
1. May act as a team lead to provide training, coaching, and guidance as necessary to the Accounting Technicians and Specialists.
2. Oversees Accounts Payable process. Responsible for ensuring expenses are coded to the appropriate GL accounts; verifies the approval of invoices; and ensures that payments are submitted to vendors in a timely manner.
3. Reconciles and monitors general ledger transactions affecting assigned accounts, researches differences and communicates outstanding items to the appropriate personnel. Resolves differences by the established deadline.
4. Conducts GL account analysis on a monthly basis.
5. Responsible for the accurate completion and/or review of several major Accounting processes within the Accounting Department. Includes but is not limited to: ATM Settlement, Cash Management, Fixed Asset Management, and Prepaid Accounting,.
6. Responsible for timely and accurate processing of Back-up Withholding and submission of the 945 Form to the IRS.
7. Performs timely research to resolve all adjustments and outages of cash, checks and/or savings bonds sent to the Federal Reserve.
8. Verifies and remits reports to external agencies in a timely manner. This includes, but is not limited to: 5300 Call Report, FR2900 Report, and Excess Share Insurance Report.
9. Responsible for posting recurring journal entries for Deposit Automation, Suspense Account Clearing, Cash Servicing, Mortgage Funding and other entries as requested.
10. Maintains and records accurate information regarding collateral in process of liquidation and other real estate owned. Prepares necessary journal entries to record collateral in process of liquidation at month-end. Prepares necessary journal entries to record the initial valuation, any subsequent valuations, and the sale/disposition of other real estate owned.
11. Prepares GL account analysis, GL account reconciliations, monthly reports and month end entries in accordance with the published month end schedule.
12. Prepares monthly financial statements and reports. This could include, but is not limited to: Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Allowance for Loan and Lease Loss, Delinquency Statistics and Budget Variance reports to management.
13. Assists as needed in the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department.
14. Performs other duties as assigned by department management.
Please submit resume and cover letter to https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=7327871