Vice President of Risk Management
PAHO/WHO Federal Credit Union
Location: Washington, DC
The Vice President of Risk Management will play a critical role in leading and overseeing the risk management functions, including Compliance, Internal Audit, Vendor Management, and Enterprise Risk Management. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive risk management strategies to safeguard the financial integrity and reputation of the Credit Union.
- 20% Ensure the credit union’s operations comply with all relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards. Develop and maintain a robust compliance program, including policies, procedures, and training initiatives. Stay abreast of regulatory changes and industry best practices to proactively address compliance challenges. Act as the Credit Union’s BSA/AML Officer and lead the Credit Union’s BSA Committee.
- 20% Internal Audit Leadership: Oversee the internal audit function, ensuring that audits are conducted effectively and efficiently. Collaborate with internal audit teams to identify areas for improvement and implement corrective actions. Provide guidance on risk mitigation strategies based on internal audit findings.
- 20% Vendor Management: Develop and implement a comprehensive vendor management program to assess, monitor, and manage third-party risks. Evaluate vendor contracts, performance, and compliance with established standards. Collaborate with business units to ensure the selection of reputable and reliable vendors.
- 20% Enterprise Risk Management (ERM): Develop and maintain the credit union’s enterprise risk management framework. Identify, assess, and prioritize strategic, operational, financial, and compliance risks. Implement risk mitigation strategies and monitor the effectiveness of risk controls. Maintain and enhance the Credit Union’s Business Continuity Program serving as the champion for building resilient processes which could sustain a variety of disaster or emergency situations. Work with Executive Management to ensure Insurance Coverage is sufficient to meet the needs of the Credit Union’s operations. Work with business unit leaders to assess, deter, and prevent fraud from impacting the Credit Union.
- 20% Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate risk management into business processes and decision-making. Provide regular updates to senior management and the board on the status of risk management initiatives. Foster a risk-aware culture by promoting communication and understanding of risk management across the organization. Prepare Presentations for the Board of Directors, Executive Management, and other stakeholders communicating the impact of risk management processes or areas which need further development or change.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Risk Management, Communication or a related field; advanced degree and relevant certifications (e.g., CRCM, CIA, CISA, ACAMS, NCCO) are highly desirable.
- 5-10 years of proven leadership experience in risk management, compliance, internal audit, or related roles within the financial services industry.
- The ability to motivate or influence inside or outside senior level executives is a critical part of the job, requiring a significant level of influence and trust. Obtaining cooperation and agreement on important outcomes via frequently complex, senior level dialogue, as well as a professional level of written communication skills are essential to the position.
- Strong understanding of credit union operations, regulatory requirements, and industry best practices. Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Is able to bend, sit, and stand in order to perform primarily sedentary work with limited physical exertion and occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs. Must be capable of climbing / descending stairs in an emergency situation. Must be able to operate routine office equipment including computer terminals and keyboards, telephones, copiers, facsimiles, and calculators. Must be able to routinely perform work on computer for an average of 6-8 hours per day, when necessary. Must be able to work extended hours or travel off site whenever required or requested by management. Must be capable of regular, reliable and timely attendance.
- Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with minimal noise.
MENTAL AND/OR EMOTIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to perform job functions independently or with limited supervision and work effectively either on own or as part of a team. Must be able to read and carry out various written instructions and follow oral instructions. Must be able to complete basic mathematical calculations, spell accurately, and understand computer basics. Must be able to speak clearly and deliver information in a logical and understandable sequence. Must be capable of dealing calmly and professionally with numerous different personalities from diverse cultures at various levels within and outside of the organization and demonstrate highest levels of customer service and discretion when dealing with the public. Must be able to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines / requirements for extreme accuracy and quality and/or fast pace. Must be able to effectively handle multiple, simultaneous, and changing priorities. Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
How to Apply
Join Our Mailing List
Keep up with the latest industry info, advocacy updates, member spotlights and upcoming events.