Transportation Federal Credit Union
Location: Alexandria, VA
The Accounting Manager oversees the operations of the accounting team. Prepares financial reports. Ensures complete, accurate, and timely completion of financial and accounting records for the Credit Union according to the general policy guidelines established by the Credit Union.
Position Reports to: Director of Accounting (Controller)
Education & Experience
- Four years to seven years of similar or related experience.
- Credit Union/Financial institution work experience is preferred.
- Project management skills desired, but not required
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or in Finance is required
A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required, in addition to normal courtesy and tact. Work involves extensive personal contact with others and/or is usually of a personal or sensitive nature. Work may involve motivating or influencing others. Outside contacts become important and fostering sound relationships with other entities (companies and/or individuals) becomes necessary.
- Oversee the preparation of financial statements in a timely, consistent manner, according to generally accepted accounting principles, regulatory and company policies.
- Maintain and review the general ledger, all subsidiary ledgers, and general ledger account reconciliations, which include fixed assets, accounts payable, accounts receivable, investments, Visa, mortgages, and insurance products; control, verify checks, and reconciliations of all cash accounts; ensure that all accounting entries are properly recorded.
- Manage cash management or wire transfer services. Manage the cash management functions at the credit union, which includes the following: ensure that cash funds are properly reconciled and managed on a daily basis; that daily automated teller machine (ATM), bill payment, and shared branch transactions are properly reconciled and recorded in the general ledger; and that ATMs owned by the credit union are adequately supplied with cash.
- Project liquidity needs, cash flows, and determine availability of funds for investments. Manage wire transfer functions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures of the credit union. Provide recommendations to policies, as necessary. Review and approve large dollar wire transfers, according to policies of the credit union.
- Supervise accounting personnel.
- Manage accounts payable functions. Ensure compliance with accounts payable, employee expense reimbursement, and purchasing policies. Provide recommendations to policies, as necessary.
- Assume responsibility for review and for approval of vendor invoices ensuring that Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) verifications are properly documented, according to policies for the credit union.
- Review departmental billings such as distribution summaries to ensure documentation for all charges and timely payments; and for the review of employee expense reports to ensure corporate Visa payments are accurately processed.
- Manage the preparation of the following reports: National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) call reports; Federal Reserve FR2900 and regular general reports; Federal Home Loan Bank (QCR) reports; Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reports; escheatment reports; enterprise fraud tracking report; and other internal and external reports, as required.
- Manage Automated Clearing House (ACH) and payroll functions to ensure that incoming ACH files are properly posted; that origination file is transmitted to the Federal Reserve System daily; that payroll is accurately posted. Assume responsibility for the resolution of un-posted items and other exception items.
- Manage check processing function. Ensure daily processing of completed checks; daily correction of all exception items; ensure large dollar notification is done, as necessary. Serve as liaison with the Federal Reserve for resolution of problems.
- Maintain control of the fixed assets and the investments of the company. Maintain fixed asset and investment subsidiary records. Ensure that the fixed asset inventory is maintained; and all fixed assets are properly tagged, according to policies of the company. Ensure all investment safekeeping reports are reconciled to subsidiary records, or all investments physically maintained are held in a secure location.
- Ensure that regulatory requirements for retention of records are achieved. Maintain adequate, accurate documentation of retention inventory. Periodically review records and destroy items that have surpassed the required retention period.
- Assist or back-up other staff and functions of Accounting Department, as necessary.
- Ensure that requested schedules and reports are timely prepared for NCUA examiners, both external and internal auditors.
- Maintain business continuity plan for the Accounting Department, and perform disaster recovery testing, as scheduled.
- Maintain current operating procedures for areas of responsibility, and provide recommendations for changes to procedures, as required.
- Perform various financial account analyses, as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Full Benefits package includes medical, dental, life insurance, 401K, generous paid leave, annual bonus, and more.
How to Apply
Complete online application at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1012715.
Join Our Mailing List
Keep up with the latest industry info, advocacy updates, member spotlights and upcoming events.